This year at RCS we will begin transitioning to a new system that will better assist the students in choosing just right books.
What is a just right book? A just right book is a book that a student is comfortable reading and comprehending.
How can I tell if a book is just right? There are a few easy steps to do this, but the hardest part is no family coaching. I know it’s hard to watch your child struggle on a word you think they might know and it is one of your favorite books. Happens to me all the time with my children too.
Here a the steps to choosing a JUST RIGHT book.
1. Choose any page in the book.
2. Have your child read the book and listen to them read.
3. Every mistake they make or if their speed slows down and stops on a word count that error.
4. If your child makes 5 or more errors that book is not a just right book for them to read independently. However, feel free to read out loud to them so they can hear a beautiful fluent voice sharing a story.
5. Create a Someday list and hang it on the refrigerator. This will remind your child of the book titles they were so close to being able to read and were interested in the next time you head out to the library, Barnes and Noble, or a favorite book store. ( if you like technology…I downloaded the app good reads on my iPhone/ iPad. They have an option that allows you to scan the book isbn number and put it in a read later folder. )http://www.goodreads.com/
Looking forward to seeing you all soon….Happy Reading